When the shaking stops, look around to make sure it is safe to move. Then exit the building.
- Help injured or trapped persons. Give first aid where appropriate. Don not move seriously injured persons unless they are in danger of further injury.
- Expect aftershocks as well as power outages. If you live in a coastal area, be aware of possible tsunamis and be ready to move to higher ground.
- Listen to a battery operated radio or television for the latest emergency information.
- Authorities recommend using your telephone only for emergency calls.
- Stay away from damaged areas unless your assistance has been requested by emergency personnel.
- Return home only when authorities say it is safe. Check for gas leaks and damage to electrical systems and water lines. Leave the area if yo smell gas.
The 2014 PumpkinFest event will take place Saturday, October 18th from 10 am to 6 pm and Sunday, October 19th from 10 am to 4 pm.
As the largest street fair in Mendocino County, there will be something for everyone to enjoy including a children’s carnival, mini-dog races & live music!
We look forward to seeing you at the 21st annual PumpkinFest!
- If indoors, drop to the floor, take cover under a sturdy table, desk or other piece of furniture, and hold on until the shaking stops
- If there isn’t a table or desk near you, cover your face and head with your arms and crouch in an inside cormer of the building
- Do not use a doorway unless you know it is load bearing, many inside doorways are lightly constructed and do not offer protection
- Stay away from glass, windows, outside doors and walls, and anything that could fall
- If you are in bed, hold on and protect your head with a pillow, unless you are under a heavy light fixture that could fall. In that case, move to the nearest safe place.
- Do not exit a building during the shaking. Research has shown that most injuries occur when people attempt to move to a different location inside the building or try to leave.
- If outdoors, move away from buildings, streetlights, and utility wires to avoid falling debris.
- If driving, stop as quickly as safety permits, avoid stopping under or near buildings, overpasses, and utility wires. Proceed cautiously after the shaking stops, roads, bridges or ramps may have been damaged
The Giant Pumpkin Weigh-Off will be held at the Ukiah Safeway parking lot on Saturday, October 11th from 10 am to 1 pm.
Presented by Safeway, the Weigh-Off is an exciting day with over $3,000 in cash prizes. Listen to the tunes from KWNE Radio on-site with their live broadcast!
Activities include food vendors, FREE bounce houses, FREE face painting and the annual PumpkinFest coloring contest.
- Build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan
- Secure items in your home that could fall during a quake, especially heavy objects and overhead light fixtures
- Make sure water heaters, refrigerators, furnaces and gas appliances are strapped to the wall studs or bolted to the floor
- Repair any deep cracks in ceiling or foundations, and be sure your residence is firmly anchored to its foundation
- Identify safe spots to take cover in each room, such as under a sturdy table or against an inside wall
- Hold earthquake drills with your family to practice “drop, cover, and hold on”
Making monthly rent payments on time may help potential home buyers increase their credit scores. Credit reporting agencies Experian and TransUnion are reportedly starting to incorporate verified rental payment data into credit files that are used to compute consumers; credit scores. So renters who never miss a payment may benefit from their payment history when they apply for a mortgage.
Saturday, October 4, 2014
11:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Main Street between 1st & 4th, Lakeport
This family fun-filled day has become an annual tradition, as we partner with Lakeport Rotary and their “Konocti Challenge” bicycle ride. We encourage participants to wear Authentic Bavarian Attire, such as dirndl skirts & felt jackets, leiderhosen, etc. There will be prizes and fun for all. We will have authentic German Food Vendors, games and more. There will be a Beer & Wine Garden with Micro Beers and Lake County Wines. Please note that costumes are encouraged; in fact, rewarded!
Many fun-filled activities will be on-going throughout the day