Mendocino County has released many notices asking its residents to help save water. If you would like to do your part but don’t quite know how, I have provided 15 of the easiest tips to help you become a pro! Share these tips with your family and friends as they are very easy and just take minor adjustments to your lifestyle. Using these EASY tips could potentially save you thousands of gallons of water a year!
1. For cold drinks keep a pitcher of water in the refrigerator instead of running the tap. This way, every drop goes down you and not the drain.
2. Water your lawn and garden in the morning or evening when temperatures are cooler to minimize evaporation.
3. When washing dishes by hand, don’t let the water run while rinsing. Fill one sink with wash water and the other with rinse water.
4. Use a broom instead of a hose to clean your driveway and sidewalk and save water every time.
5. Shorten your shower by a minute or two and you’ll save up to 150 gallons per month.
6. Adjust your lawn mower to a higher setting. A taller lawn shades roots and holds soil moisture better than if it is closely clipped.
7. Use a water-efficient showerhead. They’re inexpensive, easy to install, and can save you up to 750 gallons a month.
8. Use a commercial car wash that recycles water.
9. Turn off the water while brushing your teeth and save 25 gallons a month.
10. Turn off the water while you wash your hair to save up to 150 gallons a month.
11. Turn off the water while you shave and save up to 300 gallons a month.
12. When you give your pet fresh water, don’t throw the old water down the drain. Use it to water your trees or shrubs.
13. While staying in a hotel or even at home, consider reusing your towels.
14. When you are washing your hands, don’t let the water run while you lather.
15. Aerate your lawn at least once a year so water can reach the roots rather than run off the surface.
Should you have any suggestions of your own I would love to hear them! Please comment on my post so that I may share your tips with other!