Insurance on Vacant Homes

If you have moved out of your home and it’s sitting there unoccupied, special homeowners insurance may be needed.  Many homeowners policies have a “vacancy clause” that’s triggered if the home owner is gone for an extended period of time.  That’s because empty homes are more likely to have break-ins and there’s a greater risk of small problems growing into big problems.  An extra policy might cost more, it could save you money down the road. The cost varies with companies and the state and usually a bit higher than a typical homeowners insurance policy.