Now and then Gurra Floodplain
Now and then Gurra Floodplain (Photo credit: Callie Nickolai)

If you believe your home is NOT at risk of flooding, then you may be able to have it rezoned out of a floodplain.  This eliminates the requirement to carry flood insurance in order to obtain a mortgage or not pay the high cost added on to your mortgage.

  • Contact a surveyor to perform a elevation certificate on your home.  The contractor must be a registered professional engineer in or for the document to qualify for consideration.  The surveyor will compare the location and elevation of the house to the floodplain to determine if the home sits above the risk of flooding.
  • Once you receive an elevation certificate that determines the home is above the floodplain, you will need to submit an application for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) to FEMA.
  • FEMA will take 6-8 weeks to review the application
  • If FEMA approves the application, you will be issued an official Letter of Map Amendment.  This letter rezones the home out of a floodplain.  You can provide this letter to the bank and you will no longer be obligated to carry flood insurance.
Enhanced by Zemanta