- Set a timer to turn exterior and interior lights on and off when you normally would, or use a mobile app to control lights remotely.
- Stop your mail and newspaper deliveries.
- Ask a neighbor to keep an eye on your home and, if necessary, bring your recycling and garbage cans to and from the curb on pickup day.
- Hide and/or lock up valuables, like jewelry.
- Inform your security system provider and local police of your travel dates, so they can take extra steps to protect your home, if necessary.
- Don’t share your travel plans on social media sites.
- Turn off the water supply to your washing machine, sinks and toilets, or consider installing a system that will shut off water where it detects a leak.
- Unplug electronics and appliances, or use a mobile app to control appliances remotely.