When the shaking stops, look around to make sure it is safe to move. Then exit the building.
- Help injured or trapped persons. Give first aid where appropriate. Don not move seriously injured persons unless they are in danger of further injury.
- Expect aftershocks as well as power outages. If you live in a coastal area, be aware of possible tsunamis and be ready to move to higher ground.
- Listen to a battery operated radio or television for the latest emergency information.
- Authorities recommend using your telephone only for emergency calls.
- Stay away from damaged areas unless your assistance has been requested by emergency personnel.
- Return home only when authorities say it is safe. Check for gas leaks and damage to electrical systems and water lines. Leave the area if yo smell gas.